[CI] Protest and my TemperTantrum

Kerry Lawson kerry_lawson at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 24 16:04:09 CDT 2015

I agree with Mark and Theresa. and with Theresa that this is the "snooze you lose" rule.

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 16:13:52 -0400
From: theresa.polyakov at gmail.com
To: inquisition at cfaj.ca
Subject: Re: [CI] Protest and my TemperTantrum

I agree with Mark on this.
If you felt strongly enough you would have protested. When you had the chance.
We have lost out a few times in just the past few games for not protesting but lines need to be drawn somewhere.
Can we call that rule "snooze you lose"?
Cheers

Theresa
On Jun 24, 2015 4:07 PM, "Mark Brader" <msb at vex.net> wrote:
> So how about a rule that if a

> protest is accepted, people who answered the question right (as per

> accepted protest) should get the appropriate number of points for it?

In fact we already have the opposite as an explicit rule (rule C9,

point 3):  "Protests made at one game do not affect the scoring of

other games".

I and my team have been bitten by this situation more than once over

the years, but it really is a more practical rule.  Protests need

to be recorded while it's fresh in everyone's mind exactly what

was said.  It may take days after a protest, sometimes even longer,

before a ruling is issued and players hear about it.  If people

then make delayed protests on the basis of the ruling, they may not

remember exactly what happened, and if the delayed protest involves a

judgment call such as "close enough?", that can take even more time.

A further issue is that when the league statistician issues the stats

with "all protests resolved", it means people will know that they're

correct.  Allowing a delayed protest could alter the result of a game,

maybe even affect who gets in the Final.

So I say keep the present rule.

--

Mark Brader | "No, I'm disagreeing with you.  That doesn't mean I'm not

msb at vex.net |  listening to you or understanding what you're saying:

Toronto     |  I'm doing all three at the same time."   -- Aaron Sorkin

Inquisition at cfaj.ca