[CI] scoring system

Kerry Lawson kerry_lawson at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 4 19:54:25 CDT 2011

Shannon, I doubt that my comments will convince you, but here's my stab:

The win-loss record is absolutely impacted by strength of schedule, since there are 10 games, and you are only playing 7 of those against teams in your own division.  So, if you are a "B" team, and end up playing the top "A" team OR the bottom "A" team would (most nights) mean that you were less likely to win agains the top A team than the bottom A team.  (Or conversely, if you are an "A" team, you are more likely to win against the bottom "B" team than you are against the top "B" team.)

Points scored can also be a 'strength' thing, if you are lucky enough to consistently pick the 'easier' side.  However, since the 'easier' side isn't usually consistently the first or the second side, that is more random.  Since question setters generally try to balance things (if not within a round, then round by round), points is more likely to be a good indicator of who is the best overall team than the straight win-loss record.  I could lose a couple of games with a score of 64, and still have the highest overall # of points because the teams that beat me (say with 65 points each) were having exceptional nights.

Kerry